Monday 9 April 2012

Rescue

I have been super busy, even more so after I found out about a sheltie that needed to be rescued from a bad situation.  I didnt know how bad she was until I saw her with my own eyes.  The cost to "rescue" her was no more that what it would cost to have Champagne brunch at the Ritz Carlton for one person! Thats what her life was worth to the person who had her! It made me sick.

She was brought to my vet, and when she arrived, I cried seeing her in the condition she was in.  She was skin and bones, nothing else.  She could hardly stand, she had maggots in her ears and she had pneumonia.  She was severly malnourished as well.  I could see her bones, imagine seeing bones on a sheltie!!!

My vet treated her and gave her some vitamins to make her stronger.  I fed her immediately. She didnt even have the strength to eat.  She didnt want to eat the kibbles and I just wanted her to eat something to get her well, so I gave her a can of dog food.  She ate a little and just slept.  When I tired to pet her, she put her head so low as if I was going to hit her.  She must have been abused.

On the second day when I visited her at the vet, I spoke to her alot, trying to make her have some faith in humans again.  I promised her that she would never suffer again and that all she is going to get now is a home and love.  She will never have to worry about when her next meal would be or when would she get beaten up again.

Today is the 3rd day, she ate like a pig and she was even willing to eat the kibbles which is fantastic. She can stand better now.  Today when I spoke to her, she walked two steps forward and stoped.  Although she didnt come running to me, but for her to actually walk two steps ahead says everything.  I bet she has never walked on grass or know what the feeling is like to walk on grass.

The most important thing is she is showing signs of improvement, she is eating and responding to the medication and to human contact.  She also stopped weezing which is great.  It will be a long road to recovery, but I am not giving up on her.

No comments:

Post a Comment