Saturday 14 May 2011

Meet Mr Bird

This is Mr Bird. My dad found him at work. He was only a very young bird then and could not fly. So my dad decided to take him home where he will be safe since he cannot fly. Not only Mr Bird could not fly, but he did not know how to eat on his own. I fed him every few hours. As weeks passed, I thought that Mr Bird should start to learn to eat on his own because I would like to let him go when he is ready and he needs to know how to feed himself.


So although it breaks my heart I had to let him eat on his own, the first day, he did not know how. I had to let him learn. By the end of the day, I fed him a little to keep him going. The next day, he realised that he will go hungry if he doesn't try and so he started eating on his own. I was very pleased as he was getting one step closer to getting released soon.


One day, he looked like he was ready to fly and so I let him go, before that, I whispered to him and said "I am always here if you need me", "I promise to look after you for as long as you want me to, but you must show me how". Then I let him go. I was really worried and not sure if other birds will attack him. Then it rained very heavily that evening. I got worried again.  As I was doing the dishes in the kitchen, I looked up and saw Mr Bird sitting at the window, he looked like as though he was asking for help. So I took him in and kept him for another 3 weeks. Finally he started flapping his wings a lot, I thought he was trying to tell me it is time. And so I let him go again. And he flew away. This time I felt better because I think he is ready. I felt a little sad but very happy that he has his freedom and can live freely now. I don't believe in keeping birds in a cage.


The next day, I wondered if he was alright but no sign of him. I waited again the next day and still nothing, I thought something must have happened. I consoled myself and said I did the best for him and the rest is beyond my control.


AND on the third day. MR BIRD CAME HOME! I was so happy to see him and to know that he is well and fine. He ran to me as though he was saying Hello! I ran into the house to take his food and fed him. He happily ate it and went on his way again. Its been eight months since I let him go and here he is, still comes home for his food and off he goes again. I am very happy to see him in my garden everyday..................


Mr Bird in my garden

1 comment:

  1. Nice story! Mr Bird knows this is his house so that he will go to your house everyday. Wondering he will bring a girlfriend to show you one day! LOL

    ReplyDelete