Wednesday 26 October 2011

Festival of Lights

Today is Dewali or also known as the festival of lights is celebrated in countries like Malaysia, Singapore, India, Sri Lanka and a few more countries. Dewali has a special meaning for me and here is why.  Many many years ago, when I was growing up, I had a sheltie named Alison (We sometimes call her Amy).  She was a very sweet natured girl, very well behaved and she was such an affectionate and loving dog.

One night, it was thundering and raining heavily, she hates thunders and she got scared and found a way out of the fence.  I knew she went out and went looking for her but I couldnt find her in the dark and it was raining.  We tried again the next day, my dad drove around and I was calling her name but she was no where to be found.  I was devastated.  I thought she must have been taken away and I would never see her again.

I was so upset, I cant help crying everyday. Even in school, during lessons, I had to be strong and not cry in front of the teacher and my friends.  She was my best pal and it was strange not to have her.  We searched for months,  whenever I was in the car with my dad, I would look into the houses that he drove past and would see if anyone has her.

I never gave up, I still wanted so badly to find her.  We tried for a year and still nothing.  I accepted the fact that she was gone but inside I was so miserable not knowing where is she and what has happened.

One afternoon, on Dewali day, My family visited an Uncle.  My brother was over at his friends who is about 5 mins away from our house.  When we got home from my Uncle's, we got a phone call from my brother saying that he had seen a dog that looked like Alison!!

I grabbed my fathers hands and took the car keys and make him drive over to my brother and it was ALISON!!

She was in a house, we rang the door bell and spoke to a very kind lady.  We told her that Alison belongs to us and then she told us how she had found her.  Alison got scared and went to the main road when she ran away that night.  The lady found her at the side of the road slightly injured.  A motorbike or a car might have knocked her.  This lady took her to the vet and she was treated and she took her home.

We were so grateful to this lady and wanted to repay her back for all her help but she didnt want anything.  She gave Alison back to us and we drove home.  I cannot discribe how happy I was at that time.  A year later!! and we found her on Dewali day.

She looked abit confused when she got home but in a few hours, she was running and jumping about and behaved as if she never left.

She is now in heaven,  I never forget her.  Even after years of her gone,  whenever I think of her I would shed a tear.  Sometimes I feel that she is here, her sprit in one of my dogs.

I dont think I will ever forget this lovely girl.  And I will forver be grateful to that kind lady and GOD for returing her to me.  Dewali gives me a smile remembering how happy I was to find her on that day.

I love you Alison, my beloved sheltie.

2 comments:

  1. Is Amy your first Sheltie? You are really lucky to get her back after 1 year! And such a nice person the lady is. God bless her!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, Alison, also known as Amy for short was my first sheltie and that lady was an angel to have looked after her and return her to me one year later.

    ReplyDelete